ZFS on backup fileserver - RAM usage

Matt Simerson matt at corp.spry.com
Mon Oct 13 20:43:13 UTC 2008

It all depends on your workload. If you work your backup serves hard
(as I do, backing up thousands of OS instances), you'll have
significant reliability problems using FreeBSD 7.1 and ZFS. After a
crash that corrupted my file systems, I have moved to 8-head with
Pawel's latest patch.

My backup servers have between 16 and 24 disks each. The ones with
16GB of RAM crash far less frequently than my server that has only
2GB. That one is getting upgraded soon.

Matt