zfs as layer distributor

Andrew Snow andrew at modulus.org
Mon Oct 6 07:39:17 UTC 2008

Dimitar Vasilev wrote:
> Would love if someone to hear if someone has tested hardware raid6 and
> zfs over it.

Yes, I am using 3ware RAID6 over 16 disks as a single volume, because we
also had UFS partitions that we wanted to keep.

The performance is more than adequate, but not anywhere near if you used
them as single disks.   Personally - based on prior experience with
certain hardware - I'd trust ZFS software raid over Areca hardware :-)

How many disks do you have? If you can split up your disk pack into a
group of between 5 and 10 smaller RAIDs, that is the optimal range for
ZFS performance.

- Andrew