ZFS patches.

Claus Guttesen kometen at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:34:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 2:54 PM, Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>        http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/zfs_20080727.patch.bz2
>
> The patch above contains the most recent ZFS version that could be found
> in OpenSolaris as of today. Apart for large amount of new functionality,
> I belive there are many stability (and also performance) improvements
> compared to the version from the base system.
>
> Check out OpenSolaris website to find out the differences between base
> system version and patch version.
>
> Please test, test, test. If I get enough positive feedback, I may be
> able to squeeze it into 7.1-RELEASE, but this might be hard.
>
> If you have any questions, please use mailing lists
> (freebsd-fs at FreeBSD.org would be the best).

I applied your patch to a current as of July the 31'st. I had to
remove /usr/src and perform a clean csup and remove the two empty
files as mentioned in this thread.

I have a areca arc-1680 sas-card and an external sas-cabinet with 16
sas-drives each 1 TB (931 binary GB). They have been setup in three
raidz-partitions with five disks each in one zpool and one spare.

There does seem to be a speed-improvement. I nfs-mounted a partition
from solaris 9 on sparc and is copying approx.400 GB using rsync. I
saw write of 429 MB/s. The spikes occured every 10 secs. to begin
with. After some minutes I get writes almost every sec. (watching
zpool iostat 1). The limit is clearly the network-connection between
the two hosts. I'll do some internal copying later.

It's to early to say whether zfs is stable (enough) allthough I
haven't been able to make it halt unless I removed a disk. This was
with version 6. I'll remove a disk tomorrow and see how it goes.

--
regards
Claus

the gentlest gamester is the soonest winner.

Shakespeare