Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 9 11:17:10 UTC 2008

CZUCZY Gergely wrote:

> "Stable ZFS" would mean, that these circumstances are cleared, and there's a
> proven garantee (either mathematically) that it's _unable_ to panic due to this
> memory allocation issue.

I suppose you can choose to use this definition if you like, but it must
be kind of terrifying to live in a world where all but the most trivial
of programs are "unstable" and MIGHT CRASH AT ANY MOMENT OH GOD NO.

While technically true, I don't think it's a functionally useful
definition to equate "stable" with "proven to be perfect", so I won't
continue to debate the point.

ZFS is what it is, several of us have shown that it is possible to tune
memory parameters to make it fit into a FreeBSD kernel, and users can
either take that for what it's worth, or decide that ZFS is not for them.

Kris