24 TB UFS2 reality check ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 20:47:03 UTC 2008

--- On Tue, 7/8/08, Julian Elischer <julian at elischer.org> wrote:

> You had better have a lot of memory available ot your
> processes to be
> able to fsck this baby.. (it'd better be an amd64)..
> I don't remember the exact numbers but for 16k
> blocksize,
> it was something like 200MB ram for each 100GB of
> filesystem when
> populated with 60KB files..
> (don't trust those numbers, do some testing (and let us
> know :-) )

Thank you very much.

I currently have a similar system with:

/dev/da1       8.0T    1.3T    6.1T    16%    /users

which was created with 'newfs -i 32768 -U /dev/da1' ... and I can successfully fsck it with my:

kern.maxdsiz="2572000000"

setting.

So perhaps a filesystem 3x that size should be '-i 131072' to maintain the same ability to fsck ?

None of these systems are 64-bit - they are all running i386 w/4 GB of ram.

If I stuck with '-i 65536' (instead of going all the way to 131072) and things got sticky, I could always temporarily reboot with a maxdsiz closer to 3 GB, right ?