Thinking of using ZFS/FBSD for a backup system

CZUCZY Gergely phoemix at harmless.hu
Tue Jul 8 20:13:35 UTC 2008

Yes Kris, but you've forgot something quite important.
What you've just showed is -CURRENT, and how does that thumb-rule is
about branches and (semi-)production systems?
My faint memories say something like "don't never ever even think of
running -CURRENT on a production box", in a polite way.
ZFS can be stable on -CURRENT but it's till -CURRENT, with its issues
as a production system. So, the last we can go about a backup box is
-STABLE, but i also wouldn't prefer that one, if I can. -RELEASE and
patches for production, to be safe.

Give us a stable ZFS in -RELEASE and -STABLE and we will be statisfied
and happy. -CURRENT is still not a way for production boxes, that's
asking for trouble.

I've finetuned ZFS as much as I could, I've read every little tiny bit
of hint/information/whatever that was available and I couldn't get rid
of those kmem_size panics in -RELEASE and -STABLE.

--

Sincerely,

Gergely CZUCZY,
Harmless Digital