It's 2008. 1 TB disk drives cost $160. Quotas are 32-bit.

John Kozubik john at kozubik.com
Tue Jul 8 03:25:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Wes Morgan wrote:

> > It is not the same but can serve a similer purpose if each
> > user gets his own filesystem (and yes, I am aware of the
> > rebooting issue with zfs with thousands of filesystems).  He
> > wanted support for 2TB+ quota on ufs by July 20.  If that
> > doesn't happen at least he can limp along with this.
>
> On a totally spurrious note, I'd love to know the storage environment
> where a 1 TB quota on a multi-user system is meaningful. If I truly need
> that much space as a user, and I hit your quota limit, I'll probably be a
> very, very unhappy user!

No, you'd be a paying customer.

The environment is rsync.net.  Users pay a monthly fee for X GB of
storage.  Some users require more than 2200 GB.

It makes me very happy to run a modern enterprise with basic unix tools
and methodologies.  It's nice to imagine that all manner of normal folks
out in the world, in 2008, are being served by the same logic and
philosophies that evolved in the days of true multi-user shared unix
systems.

That is, if those core functions still worked.

-----
John Kozubik - john at kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com