It's 2008. 1 TB disk drives cost $160. Quotas are 32-bit.

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jul 2 22:56:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Andrew Reilly wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 09:05:48AM -0700, John Kozubik wrote:
>> That point is well taken.  However, regardless of the adoption rate, I _do_
>> believe that there is still a qualitative difference between quotas and,
>> for instance, ZFS - in terms of "coreness".
>
> One qualitative difference is that lots of people seem to be interested in
> ZFS.  I haven't seen any mention of quotas for many years.  In fact, I was
> under a vague impression that they hadn't worked since UFS2, and that that
> was still the case because no-one cared.

You may be thinking of the lag in support for MPSAFE UFS with quotas, which I
think we didn't ship until 7.0 (and will also appear in the forthcoming 6.4).
Prior to that, UFS was forced to run with the Giant lock if quotas were
enabled in the kernel.  Other than the recently reported 64-bit quota problem,
I believe they have worked fine since UFS2 was introduced.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge