Patches to get Arla running on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT (fwd)

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 16 10:56:55 UTC 2008

FYI--looks like Arla is now at least minimally running on FreeBSD 8.x.  The
continuing plan is:

(1) Make sure Arla is actually stable on FreeBSD 8-CURRENT and add FreeBSD
     7-STABLE to the mix, get more people testing it on recent FreeBSD
     versions.  With any luck the attached patch will go back into the base
     Arla tree in some form or another.

(2) Import the nnpfs kernel module into the base CVS tree in order to avoid
     future VFS-related lag, but retain Arla in the ports collection.  Likely
     de-ifdef the module once imported.

The goal would be to get to the point where an AFS client can be used out of
the box in FreeBSD 7.1 by simply installing the Arla port.  Right now it
appears the Heimdal in the base system is too old to work with the latest
Arla, requiring installing the Heimdal port to be installed.  I'm not sure
who's maintianing Heimdal in the base tree currently, but we should get that
fixed on general principle.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge