Asynchronous writing to zvols (ZFS)

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Fri Aug 8 22:06:00 UTC 2008

[zvol write performance less than file-on-zfs]
> Not sure why's that, I spent no time on optimizing ZVOL yet, sorry.

Absolutely, I was not complaining! I just felt it was worth mentioning. It was
not meant to be negative criticism.

> With the patch above we synchoronize in-memory transactions every 5
> seconds or when queue is full or when we receive BIO_FLUSH.

That was my understanding. Sorry, I probably wasn't being clear. I thought
your original comment ("The problem is that we don't between async and sync
I/O request on GEOM level") implied that there was some reason one could not
trust bio_cmd to be preserved correctly (somehow being downgraded from
BIO_FLUSH before it reaches the zvol class).  Because if this was the case it
would make perfect sense under the circumstances to treat all writes as
flushes, in order to achieve correct semantics for *actual* flushes.

So my question was meant to confirm that this was not the case, because if it
were, the patch would mean that *actual* flushes would not get treated as
such.

Thanks,

--
/ Peter Schuller