Choppy performance.

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 14:51:00 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:29 PM, Daniel Andersson <engywook at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I just noticed that I didn't set vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1. I don't get the
>  deadlocks but could
>  the prefetch_disable fix my problem?

Turning off prefetch improved my workload (I play video from it for
ex, no more skiped frames)

>  I'm currently running a raidz pool with only two disks. Is there some way to
>  turn
>  off the mirroring? I don't really care if the stuff on the disks get
>  corrupted/broken.
>  I would however like to get 1TB instead of 500MB. =P

raidz isn't mirroring, that would be the mirror option.
You loose one disk's storage for parity when you use raidz, and since
you only added 2 disks to that raidz you lose 50% of your storage
space. It has the appearance of mirroring but in fact it's not.
Your choice of a raidz was wrong for what you really needed and you
have to destroy the raidz pool to be able to change it.

Instead of using:
zpool create yourpoolname raidz disk1 disk2
use:
zpool create yourpoolname disk1 disk2

--
Joao Barros