ZFS deadlock

Spike Ilacqua spike at indra.com
Tue Apr 8 16:39:49 UTC 2008

> Depending on  your work load you are just buying more time, so
> "reasonable" is a matter of perspective. :(  I didn't see if you said
> you are on 32bit or 64bit? Keep in mind the kmem max is 1.5-2G on amd64
> regardless of how much memory you have. If 512M arcsize crashes too soon
> for your tastes you can always lower it down to 256M, or 128M, etc.

I tried for several weeks to get ZFS stable on a 64bit system with a
1.5G kernel.  The best uptime I ever got was 72 hours, the worst was 2,
the average about 24.  Interestingly, most of the hangs were at off
hours, when the system was lightly loaded, had lots of free memory, etc.
  That suggests to me a slow leak of some sort.

Anyway, ZFS is not ready for production.  Some people may get lucky, but
  you can't count on it.

Spike