UFS not handling errors correctly

Johannes Totz jo_t at gmx.net
Mon Sep 10 15:16:29 PDT 2007

Peter Schuller wrote:
>> bg fsck cannot fix arbitrary filesystem corruption. Nor is it
>> intended to.
>
> But is not the proposed problem that UFS caused the corruption to
> begin with?

That is want I wanted to report. This corruption should not have
happened in the first place.

Either some part in geom did not properly report the error back to the
upper layer (e.g. the file system); or UFS ignored it silently (as there
is nothing in the logs).
In any case, the behavior is not correct.

But I must also admit that I have no idea what the correct behavior
would be like: the write error was most likely a metadata flush (or
softupdate checkpoint, not sure of the terminology here) because the
(file-)system was idle at that time.

Cheers
Johannes