Swapping on ZFS - stability issue

Simun Mikecin numisemis at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 8 13:25:35 PDT 2007

Peter Schuller wrote:
>> I'll see if I can confirm behavior on a more recent CURRENT. The above was on=20
>> CURRENT:s from 1-2 months ago in both cases.
> Confirmed on CURRENT cvsup:ed today (2007-09-08). However, the speed
> at which swap was filling was much faster - on par with swap on
> non-ZFS. But the machine still effectively froze, save the
> console/ping, after a few seconds.
> Also, I forgot to say this is all on amd64 machines.

Try one of this (depends wheter you need encrypted swap or not):

1. create zvol with 4k blocksize instead of default 8k:
     zfs create -b 4k -V 4g tank/swap
     swapon /dev/zvol/tank/swap

2. use geli encrypted swap with a sectorsize of 4k:
     zfs create -V 4g tank/swap
     geli onetime -s 4096 /dev/zvol/tank/swap
     swapon /dev/zvol/tank/swap.eli