ZFS and FAULTED devices (corrupted data), can't make the pool ONLINE again

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 23 10:35:01 PST 2007

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 10:08:05AM +0100, Attila Nagy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> FreeBSD RELENG_7, x86, a terrible disk array, called Promise RM-8000
> with 8 disks on an ahc.
> The pool is a RAIDZ2.
> Tomorrow the array went crazy (its firmware is a total crap), so I had
> to reboot both the machine and the disk array.
>
> The effect:
>  pool: people
> state: DEGRADED
> status: One or more devices could not be used because the label is
> missing or
>        invalid.  Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue
>        functioning in a degraded state.
> action: Replace the device using 'zpool replace'.
>   see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-4J
> scrub: resilver completed with 0 errors on Thu Nov 22 10:45:27 2007
> config:
>
>        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
>        people      DEGRADED     0     0     0
>          raidz2    DEGRADED     0     0     0
>            da8     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da3     FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
>            da5     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da6     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da7     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da9     ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da10    ONLINE       0     0     0
>            da4     FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> I've tried everything I could think of:
> zpool replace people da3
> invalid vdev specification
> use '-f' to override the following errors:
> da3 is in use (r1w1e1)
>
> zpool replace -f people da3
> invalid vdev specification
> the following errors must be manually repaired:
> da3 is in use (r1w1e1)
>
> zpool offline people da3
> cannot offline da3: no valid replicas
>
> zpool online people da3
> Bringing device da3 online
> (nothing has changed, the device is still FAULTED)
>
> Hmm. Is this this bug?
> http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=161812

You should use:

	# zpool replace people da3 da3

but to do it, you need this patch, which was not yet MFCed:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev.c.diff?r1=1.3;r2=1.4