Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

Richard Noorlandt lists.freebsd at gmail.com
Sun May 27 16:21:06 UTC 2007

2007/5/25, Jan Mikkelsen <janm at transactionware.com>:

> You can use the Areca controller to create separate devices/LUNs,
> and then ignore fdisk/gpt/labels altogether for the large
> filesystem you want to grow, and just stick the filesystem directly
> on /dev/da1, or whatever it ends up being.

I didn't realize that you could actually put the FS directly on the drive
without partitioning it first, but it makes sense. Are there any known
problems with such a setup? As far as I know, most people always partition
their drives, so I don't know how often this is done..

As a bonus, you don't have to do all the calculations to figure out
> where the partitions should start.  See:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-fs/2006-October/002312.h
> tml

That appears to be quite a nice bonus. Better performance with less work ;-)