Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

Nick Gustas freebsd-fs at tychl.net
Fri May 25 12:38:24 UTC 2007

Arne WXrner wrote:
> --- Nick Gustas <freebsd-fs at tychl.net> wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, I made the three changes you mentioned, and growfs still
>> compiles clean,
>>

> Does that mean, that there r no warnings?

yep
AMD64# pwd
/usr/src/sbin/growfs.edit
AMD64# make
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -Wsystem-headers -Wall
-Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual
-Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter
-Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
-Wno-pointer-sign -c growfs.c
cc -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe  -Wsystem-headers -Wall
-Wno-format-y2k -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wstrict-prototypes
-Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual
-Wwrite-strings -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wunused-parameter
-Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs -Wredundant-decls
-Wno-pointer-sign  -o growfs growfs.o
gzip -cn growfs.8 > growfs.8.gz

No complaints about arg 3 being the wrong datatype or signed vs unsigned
errors, at least on AMD64. Doesn't mean it'll do what we need though! :)

>> and runs with proper display, but running fsck -y on the
>> grown file system scrolls for a long time with tons of errors and
>> eventually bombs out asking me to run it again. running it again doesn't
>> help.
>>

> Did u try to run the original R6.2 growfs on a smaller fs? I have heard, that
> growfs has a general malfunction, so that it produces things, that fsck finds
> funny... If u repeat fsck often, those warnings will disapear... :-))

It seems you are right, I just tried to grow a ~500GB filesystem to
about 990GB on a i386 6.2 server, fsck had a fit even though the file
system was mountable. Second run of fsck is still going!

I thought I had tried growfs successfully on a sub 2TB FS sometime
around 5.4 or 5.5, maybe I was mistaken. It was on a 4TB server, so when
growfs gave a weird display when I tried it to grow a 2TB FS to 3TB, I
never tried it again and bought all the drives I needed to fill the
chassis right away.