Growing UFS beyond 2 TB

Richard Noorlandt lists.freebsd at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:55:59 UTC 2007

2007/5/24, Arne Wörner <arne_woerner at yahoo.com>:

> --- Richard Noorlandt <lists.freebsd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does anyone have a suggestion? Or am I overlooking something? I can
> hardly
> > imagine that what I want is very rare, so I think there must be some
> > solution.
> >
> 1. A better implementation for GPT is on its way... I think, the time
> frame was
> "several weeks"... It is in the archive of this list or freebsd-geom at ...

Will it be possible to create the tables with the current GPT tool, and
later grow them safely with the new tool when it's available? It'll take
some time before I need the extra TB's, so waiting a few weeks before I can
grow the partitions and FS is no problem. As long as I can grow it without
losing data.

2. I wonder, why u dont just delete all GPT partitions and re-create them
> (after u wrote down offset and size of the previous config)... :-)

Wouldn't this destroy the data that's on the partitions? The problem is that
I have no way to backup or temporary store the data on the array. So all
growing must be done without wiping the contents of the FS.

Best regards,

Richard