VERY frustrated with FreeBSD/UFS stability - please help or comment...

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Mon May 21 19:53:06 UTC 2007

> Specifically, I have private departmental fileservers
> that other fileservers rsync to using Mike Rubel-style
> rsync snapshots:

FWIW, since you wondered about being alone in the world, I tend to do
similar things but with rdiff-backup, with total file count ranging from
a few hundred thousand to a few million. But I also routinely do stuff
like rsyncing entire chroots with multiple ports/pkgsrc trees and
whatnot. I mostly haven't experienced the problems you describe. (Always
with UFS2 and softupdates, if you discount recent stuff with ZFS.)

The one thing I *have* experienced is filesystems going nuts after
filling them. Specifically I end up with a negative amount of space
free, and as soon as you release more space df -h quickly reports the
amount of free space dropping (you can see it interactively churning for
a few secs) until it settles at some negative amount again and you're
back to square one. This has happened once or twice in the past, but not
recently. Not sure which release it did happen on; might have been 5.x.

It's worth noting that the one thing I don't do is creating multiple
links to the same file with any frequency, as happens with the rsync
incremental backup approach.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'