distributed filesystems

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 06:06:07 UTC 2007

--- Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
> Greg Troxel writes:
> > Coda (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/) works well on NetBSD-current, in
> > which I just fixed the kernel module to conform to updated/simplified
> ..
> > There's also arla (afs working client, and server that I'm not sure of
> > the status).
> >From a performance perspective would you recommend Coda or Arla?
>
> Are distributed filesystems fast enough to handle something like a mailstore
> for a busy Imap/pop3 server?

Depends...

Since Imap/pop3 sounds like that services r limited in bandwidth by network
bandwidth, u just have to care that the network connection between the file
servers is fast enough. Then u should just have a little delay (when the data
is sent a second time through the network) but no contention.

Theoretically:
If the fs does lazy updates (just getting a lock on another server and
transfering the data later from a local mirror -- like described earlier in a
change request for gmirror), it can do updates as fast as it can transfer data
to the other server.
Reading should be a lot faster, if the write-locks r handled intelligently.

-Arne