gvirstor & UFS

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Thu Mar 29 21:41:12 UTC 2007

Bruce Evans wrote:

> That is hard to fix.  The change to vfs_bio.c to not discard buffer
> contents
> after a write error (rev.1.196 of vfs_bio.c) may even have been triggered
> by this and similar panics in soft updates.  However, I think it is a bug
> for file systems to not be able to deal with i/o errors.  Rev.1.196 could
> have reasonably left the buffer alone instead of discarding it as before
> or clearing its error indicator and dirty flag as now, so that file system
> code could deal with the error a little later.  Then I think the above
> panic would still occur, sincs soft updates can't deal with the error.
> Soft updates is apparently depending on not even seeing the error.  But
> some errors are non-recoverable, so not seeing them is no solution.

Ah. It looks like I've again stumbled on a task that needs non-trivial
interaction with the UFS (the last time was gjournal, which Pawel
thankfully took over and made it work) :(

I can probably try solving this one, but I'll need major hand-holding
through it since I'm afraid of the UFS code. Any volunteers?