FFS writes to read-only mount

David Cecil david.cecil at nokia.com
Thu Mar 15 22:43:08 UTC 2007

>> It may be that snapshots are used, but not explicitly.  The startup
>> scripts attempt to run fsck in the background, which would normally
>> require a snapshot, but shouldn't for a read-only mount, right?
>>

> What happens if the filesystem is marked dirty, background fsck is
> enabled, but the filesystem is mounted read-only?

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing Kris.  In fact, that was one of my
first suspects when I started looking at this problem.

I had eliminated it because fstat (and ps in ddb) doesn't show fsck
running, or the raw device open for writing.  Maybe fsck had already
closed the descriptor and exited but the write to disk (GEOM mirror) is
still outstanding in the buffer cache?

Dave

--
Software Engineer