zfs_20070303.patch on current

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Tue Mar 13 16:18:01 UTC 2007

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> We don't have to mount /boot/ to read from it. The loader reads directly
> from boot partition, so bascially we could make /dev/ad0s1a a small UFS
> partition that contains the kernel, zfs kernel module and /etc/fstab
> and it should work. Note that we currently allow for encrypting root
> file system the same way with geli(8).

 From what I've been able to make out of the loader source, it seems
like /etc/fstab is only read if the 'vfs.root.mountfrom' variable is not
already set - so that may be one less thing to worry about.  Maybe
having a loader.conf with

    zfs_load="YES"
    vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:/dev/???"

although maybe you also need some environment variable to tell the zfs
module to forcibly import some pool?   zfs.zpool.import="tank"?

After that, maybe /etc/fstab (within a ZFS filesystem), could mount
/dev/ad0s1a as something like /bootpart and then have a symlink setup

     /boot -> /bootpart/boot

so 'make installworld' would be fairly normal.

	Barry