zfs_20070303.patch on current

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Sat Mar 10 17:45:48 UTC 2007

Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 02:20:36PM +0200, Andrei Kolu wrote:
>> Thanks! So I have to enable ZFS from /boot/loader.conf with zfs_load="yes" or
>> how?
>
> Forgot to mention. Do not add 'zfs_load="YES"' to your
> /boot/loader.conf, because it tries to read some files before root file
> system is mounted, which will panic the system. I'll fix this at some
> point, but avoid loading zfs.ko too early for now.

Is there any hope for someday optionally using ZFS as a root filesystem?

I was sort of imagining a setup where /boot resided in a UFS filesystem
so it could hold the kernel/modules/regular booting info and -
/boot/loader.conf would specify 'zfs_load="YES"' along with another
directive to tell which zfs filesystem to use as root.

  	Barry