Looking for a graceful way to disable BG fsck ?

Matthew West mwest at cs.uct.ac.za
Fri Mar 2 14:45:43 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 08:18:21AM -0800, Jason Arnaute wrote:
> But you're right - it's not exactly what I want ...
> provided that the critical filesystems are already
> clean (all I have are /, /var, and (bulk_data)) I wish
> it would just come up and say:
>
> "if they're clean, mount them and be happy.  If
> they're not, just _don't mount them_.  Just don't do
> anything.  You've got your / and /var, so just be
> happy and wait for someone to manually bring up
> (bulk_data)"

A cheap-and-nasty way would be to add the "noauto" option for your
"(bulk_data)" in /etc/fstab, and then do something like put "mount
(bulk_data)" into /etc/rc.local.

If the "(bulk_data)" FS is clean, it'll get mounted at boot time.  If
it's dirty, mount will output an error to console, but the system will
be unaffected otherwise.  You could even have it fallback to mounting
"(bulk_data)" as read-only if you required such a thing.

mwest at cs.uct.ac.za