Installing FreeBSD on large disk >2TB

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Wed Jun 13 00:42:20 UTC 2007

There is a simmilar thread related to filesystems greater than 2TB.
The subject is: Filesystems larger than 2TB

I started the thread and from what I can gather you can not have a
filesystem greater than 2TB on your boot device.
Also you can not use sysinstall to create the partition if it is greater
than 2TB.

> The problem happens when i try to use a RAID larger in size to 2 Terabyte,
> then the install program freezes and the machine reboots (it cannot find the
> disk).

Split your drives.
Make a RAID1 with 2 drives and install
/
/usr
/var
/tmp
swap

The second raid with the rest of the drives you should be able to create the
partition manually, not from sysinstall.

> Any clue on how to solve it? FreeBSD can't be installed on disks larger than 2
> TB?

As far as I can tell no.

As for creating the partition after you have a working system there were two
methods mentioned.

Was was using newfs against the raw device like
newfs -s /dev/da0s2

The other one involves something called GPT, but seems like it is a more
difficult method and it also seems like there is ongoing discussion about
GPT.

I also think, but am not sure, that it will be easier to have partitions
greater than 2TB when ZFS is incorporated into the OS.