Inode density for database machines - newfs -i

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Jun 11 03:11:24 UTC 2007

For my mailstore machines I usually do "newfs -i 32768" to decrease fsck
time in case of problems.

For database machines, postgresql in particular, would it help to have a
number larger than 65536?

I am aware that ZFS and gjournal are in the horizon, but I am looking at the
next 3 months and neither of those two may be mature enough to even get
approval to install them.

Looking at one of my existing database machines, I have a filesystem using
1.2TB and only 2053 inodes. There are 3,539,385 free inodes. If I recall
correctly I used "newfs -i 65536" for that filesystem.

Will fsck be significantly faster in case of crash if I used say
131072(128K)  or even 256K?

What is the best list to find the current status of gjournal?
This list of geom? Looking at archives most of the gjournal posts seem to be
in current.