Filesystems larger than 2TB?

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Sun Jun 10 14:13:45 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras writes:

> 1. don't use partitions/slices at all and create the file system on the
> raw device (i.e. newfs /dev/da0)

But how would one do this on a new machine?
i.e. If I am setting up a new machine with a 6.2 Stable CD.. isn't the
install program  basically sysinstall?

Do I setup my smaller partitions such as /, /usr, /var, /tmp and leave the
end blank and then use "newfs -s /dev/da0s1<letter> ?
Or perhaps creating a second slice for the remaining space over 2TB?

Any man pages or URLs you know off that I can read?

So far the only thing I found was the "-s" parameter to newfs.

> 2. use GPT partitions.

What is the drawback of using that approach?

Thanks much for your help.