ZfS & GEOM with many odd drive sizes

Mark Powell M.S.Powell at salford.ac.uk
Wed Jul 25 16:22:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007, Doug Rabson wrote:

> On 25 Jul 2007, at 12:17, Mark Powell wrote:
>> Great work. That will be zfs mirror only right?
>
> The code is close to being able to support collections of mirrors. No raidz
> or raidz2 for now though.

That's great news.
   So that would mean, if a raidz vdev was required on a system another
pool would have to be created with only a mirror vdev in it, to have / on
zfs too?
   Considering the work involved, is raidz / support really worth it? Of
course, it's fantastic if you plan to tackle it, but I don't envy you the
task :(

>> So back to my original question :)
>>  If one drive in a gconcat gc1 (ad2s2+ad3s2), say ad3 fails, and the broken
>> gconcat is completely replaced with a new 500GB drive ad2, is fixing that
>> as simple as:
>>
>> zpool replace tank gc1 ad2
>
> That sounds right.

Thanks for the info. It's good to know how to fix an array before it's
created :)
   Cheers.

--
Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - The University of Salford
Information Services Division, Clifford Whitworth Building,