msdosfs header unification patch

Brian Chu chub at freebsd.org
Fri Jul 13 08:19:14 UTC 2007

Hi fs,

The included diff is the work I've done on header consolidation in
msdosfs.  The three areas I concentrated on where:

- sys/fs/msdosfs/
- sys/geom/label/g_label_msdosfs.*
- sbin/fsck_msdosfs/

I decided to preserve the headers in sys/fs/msdosfs since the bulk of
the code lives there and is most widely understood (don't want to be
pulling the rug from under other developers here).

There were several places where a meta-structure describing
FAT12/FAT16/FAT32 bootsectors and bpb's were kept intact because they
were more compact than the actual on disk bs/bpb's.

Please feel free to comment!

Thanks,
Brian