help needed - tuning a filesystem for rm and cp ? (MORE)

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 14:52:10 UTC 2007

> > All else being equal, how do you optimize a system
for
> > copying from one place to another on the same
mount
> > point ?  How do you optimize a system for fast
file
> > deletion ?  Are the two mutually exclusive ?
>
> You might try increasing vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem if
the default's too low
> for you (see what "sysctl -a | grep dirhash"
reports).

# sysctl -a | grep dirhash
  UFS dirhash   895   181K       -   550269
16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096
vfs.ufs.dirhash_minsize: 2560
vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 2097152
vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem: 2065716
vfs.ufs.dirhash_docheck: 0

Interesting at all ?  Above ^^^ is the output for
today, but I checked it yesterday as well and got:

# sysctl -a | grep dirhash
  UFS dirhash   180    43K       -   452370
16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096
vfs.ufs.dirhash_minsize: 2560
vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem: 2097152
vfs.ufs.dirhash_mem: 860405
vfs.ufs.dirhash_docheck: 0

So do I understand this correctly that right now I am
at ~550000 and yesterday I was at ~452000, but
yesterday my high water mark was ~860000 and today my
high water mark is 2065716 ?

So it looks like I maxed it out last night ?