skipping fsck with soft-updates enabled

Scott Oertel freebsd at scottevil.com
Tue Jan 9 18:57:25 UTC 2007

I am wondering what kind of problems would occur, besides lost space, if
after a system crash a fsck is skipped. According to the documentation,
with soft-updates enabled, the file system would be consistant, there
would just be lost resources to be recovered which I am assuming can be
safely done at a later time to avoid long periods of downtime during
peek hours.

"Soft updates control the ordering of filesystem updates such that the
only inconsistencies in the on-disk representation are that free blocks
and inodes may be claimed as "in use" in the on-disk bitmaps when they
are really unused."

So, would there be other issues if fsck wasn't ran right away after a
system crash?

Thanks,
Scott