Mounting an xfs drive

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Tue Jan 9 09:51:41 PST 2007

Hello all,

	I have an xfs drive from an old Origin 2000 that I'm trying to pull
some data from.  I've managed to hook it up to my workstation which dual
boots FreeBSD -CURRENT and Linux.  Both operating systems see the drive,
and Linux even sees three partitions (according to fdisk): sda8, sda9,
sda11.  Unfortunately Linux refuses to mount the actual XFS partition.
>From what I can tell, it has to do with the fact that the filesystem is
using version 1 directory format, which is unsupported on the linux
version of XFS.

	So I was hoping to see if the same is try for the FreeBSD version of
XFS.  Again, FreeBSD sees the drive as /dev/da0, but no partitions or
slices show up.  Much as I expected, trying to mount /dev/da0 directly
fails with "Operating not permitted".  Before I continue fighting with
this, I've taken a look in the xfs source code on my system, and it
appears that version 1 directory format is unsupported on FreeBSD as
well.  Can anyone confirm this?  If it is supported, any suggestions on
how to get the drive mounted?  Thanks :-)

Adam