breaking out of a background fsck ?

Arone Silimantia aronesimi at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 08:37:38 PST 2007

6.1-RELEASE system crashed.

  System was rebooted before I could get to it, and the background fsck processes started off.  So, while they were running, I logged in and issued the 'reboot' command.

  This command has not completed, and I cannot ctrl-C it.  The system is still up and responsive - I can log into it.

  I have all the time in the world, and uptime is not a problem, so what I want to do is reboot the system with the filesystems commented out in /etc/fstab and just manually fsck them by hand.

  But now what do I do with this system ?  Will it finally reboot when the background fsck is done ?  Or are they in a deadlock now (I notice that fsck_ufs, in top, never seems to leave the state SNAPLK).

  From past experience, I am fairly certain that any attempt to kill the fsck processes will fail.  The kill command will return with no errors, but the processes will still be there....

  Any ideas ?  And in the future, what is the right way to break out of an unintended background fsck ?

  thanks.