namei lookup vnode locking

Raja Sivaramakrishnan srajag00 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 09:17:39 PST 2007

Thanks for the response - I'll take a look at the handbook.
Regarding ttywait, it was not called through the ttydrain ioctl.
ttywait was called through fdfree from exit1() when the login
process was exiting. I believe this is called with the vnode
lock held.

- Raja
First, there were the significant locking fixes for the devfs after
6.1, in particular, check that 6.2, or, even better 6.3-latest RC
shows the errant behaviour. It may be all fixed already.

For proper reporting of the deadlock, see kernel debug chapter
of the developer handbook, in particular, deadlock section.

I have a doubt regarding you analysis as far as I was able to
understand it. ttydrain() ioctl does not hold the dev vnode lock
while calling the driver. Anyway, do what I recommended above.