How safe is ZFS to use for a home user?

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Mon Dec 24 16:44:34 PST 2007

> Has anybody ever lost data due to any bugs or anything like that?  I'm
> going to use this ZFS as my primary storage medium (and poor man's
> backup solution), so I would be devastated if I lost my entire array
> due to a bug or other issue (aside from losing two hard drives in a
> three hard drive RAID-Z array).

I haven't. Haven't really seen anyone say they have either, in a way that was
due to a ZFS bug.

I'm using it for several machines (both private and in production). Two of
them are doing raidz2 with 5 and 6 disks respectively, another two are doing
three-way mirroring.

Based on past experience and behavior in various edge cases (port outtages,
crashes causing rebuilds, etc), I feel safer with ZFS than without, even if
the implementation is not as mature as UFS. However, the fact that I "feel
safe" is of course not very objective nor useful ;)

Just with these select few machines, I have already had snapshots save me at
least once and checksumming "sort of" saved me once. And knowing that 'zpool
scrub' really tests your integrity properly is *so* re-assuring I can't even
begin to describe it.

That said, no raid/storage solution is ever going to be perfect. Insert
standard rant about keeping backups here.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org