large disk > 8 TB

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 11 15:32:53 PST 2007

Mark Carlson wrote:

> If there is a bug here, I'm not sure people will see it for a while in
> practice.  I mean, who is using hardware raid to create a 8.5GB "disk"
> then create a zpool with that one "disk"?

You mean 8.5TB. Believe it or not,

a) You can buy 1 TB drives off the shelf so you need only 8 or 9 of them
to reach that capacity, and 9 drives is a trivially small number in
serious installations.
b) Hardware RAIDs can be useful in some situations because they
automagically handle certain situations like hot-plugging (including
rebuilding) and reporting (audio-visual signs).
c) "Hardware" RAIDs might not be DAS but also iSCSI or fibre channel, in
which case it's useless and harmful (to performance) to do software RAID
on them.

Both hardware and software RAIDs have their uses, but the issue in this
thread is to discover which component (if any) has a bug that makes the
original configuration tried by the OP unusable.