RAID 1 via ataraid(4)

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Dec 10 12:36:37 PST 2007

I'm looking at getting a new box and wondering what people's
experiences are with mirroring via ataraid(4) and various
motherboards. Does it work? Does it tell you when a drive fails?
Does it do the right thing when you put in a replacement?  Does it
work if the two drives aren't identical? Is performance
acceptable?

At the moment I'm using gmirror (previously ccd until GEOM came
along and ccd became unstable) with a dedicated unmirrored OS
disk. But in accordance with Murphy's law, I've had the boot disk
fail twice in the past five years, so I'd like to put the damn
root fs on the mirror.