Gjournal reporting 1/2 the speed of non journaled? What is the status of Gjournal?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Aug 17 08:42:40 PDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 06:02:09PM -0700, N. Harrington wrote:
>  With ZFS, I have not seen much new going on with
> gjournal. I am curious what the status of gjournal and
> if it will likely be included with 6.3 (whenever that
> is due)

That was the plan, but I'm not yet sure if I'll find time to do it.

>  Also, as of late, I have been using it with
> 6.2-STABLE via the patches and I seem to be getting
> 1/2 the transfer speeds compared to non journaled
> disks. It seems like this is recent as previous tests
> showed it as quite fast.
>
>  Any suggestions on why this could be happening
> greatly appreciated.
>
>  tested via
>  dd if=/dev/zero of=./testfile bs=16 count=16384

Gjournal is ~two times faster than UFS+SU for many small, random and
parallel writes (such as running few 'tar x' processes), but is two
times slower than UFS+SU for one sequential write stream, as there is no
much that can be optimized there.

>  With disks getting larger and larger, why is it
> taking so long for a journaled filesystem to be
> standard on BSD?

We have ZFS now, we don't need journaled file system:)