2 bonnies can stop disk activity permanently

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 8 13:33:56 PDT 2006

Bruce wrote:
>On Sun, 8 Oct 2006, Scott Long wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>> You forgot to even mention what version you're running ;-)
>>>
>>> Also show your kernel config file.  Configure DDB per the chapter on
>>>
>> No need for all of that information, the bug in vfs_bio.c is quite obvious.
>> =-(  Fixing it will take some thought, though.
>
>Is it really obvious?  I think it is only obvious that many things are
>not quite right.  The quick fix of increasing BKVASIZE to the size of
>the largest buffer used should still work to prevent bkva fragmentation.

OK: The FBSD version was varying: R6.1, R6.1-CURRENT, R7-CURRENT.

But we just found out, that it happens when we use "newfs -b 65536", but not with default "-b" value (whatever that might be)...

So if somebody wants to reproduce it, he/she should use >R6 and "newfs -b 65536"...
I think that were all steps to do...

Can somebody reproduce it now?
DDB is not my bag, so that I would be glad, if somebody with an appropriate setting could reproduce it...

-Arne