what is the safe <2 TB number, precisely ?

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Thu Nov 16 18:32:35 UTC 2006

On 11/16/06 11:54, Ensel Sharon wrote:
> (6.1-RELEASE - already installed and running with other arrays)
>
> I am installing a new array of 5 500 GB disks.
>
> It's hard to say what the total raw space will be, but it will certainly
> be above 2 TB.
>
> However, I want to ensure a ZERO-exposure to any 2 TB limit issues (with
> quotas, and disk tools and snapshots, etc.)  So with that in mind, when I
> go into my adaptec firmware to create an array, and it asks me to specify
> the size of the array, I am going to type in a number _less than_ the max
> possible size.
>
> So the question is, do I type in 1999 ? 2000 ? 2047 ? 2048 ?
>
> What number is totally, absolutely safe and will shield me from _all
> possible_ BIGDISK related issues ?
>
> I am leaning towards 1999 since that _must be_ safe...but am curious if I
> could get away with 2047 or 2048 ...
>
> All comments appreciated.  Thank you!

I think the only issue you might have, is fsck'ing the filesystem if you
ever need to.  The more inodes/blocks, the more memory you'll need.
Otherwise, large filesystems work well:

/dev/label/vol10-data.journal     10T    7.3T    2.0T    79% 150359740
1132635458   12%   /vol10
/dev/label/vol11-data.journal     10T    2.2T    7.2T    23%  39852623
1243142575    3%   /vol11

Eric