quota command and rsync snapshots...

Antony Mawer fbsd-fs at mawer.org
Wed Nov 15 21:39:44 UTC 2006

On 16/11/2006 8:23 AM, Ensel Sharon wrote:
> Remember, only day.0 is "real" - the others are `cp -al` copies,
> consisting almost totally of hard links back to day.0.
>
> So I really don't know what is going on.  quota says 1.5 mil. files, I
> have 5 million total "files", each dir does not exceed 140 GB.
>
> Does this mean that there is (197 minus 140) GB of churn per day, and that
> there must be (1.5 mil. minus 1.25 mil.) churn of file turnover per day
> ? Or something like that ?  That is the only thing i can think of ...

The easiest way to check your snapshots are working properly is to check
the hard linked files using ls -li. Find some files you know will be the
same between two snapshots, and perform an ls -li against them. Then
compare the inode numbers of the two to see if they are identical or
not. For instance:

> $ /bin/ls -li 2006-11-14_Tue/etc/pkgtools.conf 2006-11-13_Mon/etc/pkgtools.conf
> 19312769 -rw-r-----  15 backup   backup    2242 May 30 20:32 2006-11-13_Mon/etc/pkgtools.conf
> 19312769 -rw-r-----  15 backup   backup    2242 May 30 20:32 2006-11-14_Tue/etc/pkgtools.conf

So in this case, the inode for both files is the same, and I know that
file hasn't changed between those two snapshots, so the snapshots are
operating correctly.

--Antony