please help - explanation for odd fsck times/behavior needed

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Mar 14 17:04:55 UTC 2006

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:
>
>> Ok, thanks for the insight.  Someone with a commit wand should wave
>> it over fsck(8):
>>

> No, the man page is correct.  There's just no point in using more than
> two passes unless you have so little memory that fsck starts swapping.
> You'll notice that sysinstall puts everything except / in pass 2 in
> the fstab it generates when you install.

Or you have such large partitions, that you need the entire amount of
memory to fsck a single filesystem at all.

While we're on this topic, my fsck's never seem to want to swap, they
die with an error (can't recall the error), to get around it I set
maxdsiz to a huge number (3gb-ish).  Setting maxdsiz any higher makes
the machine not boot (can't run init).

Eric