On-disk format of UFS/UFS2 (for firmware implementation)

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Tue Jun 20 14:34:14 UTC 2006

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any definitive, authoritative or even just comprehensive
documentation on the on-disk format (superblock, nodes, file linking, extents..) of
the UFS and UFS2 filesystems.

We would like to implement it in firmware for booting FreeBSD (and NetBSD and eventually
Solaris which uses some variant). I have the source code from sys/fs/ufs already but it
is not the preferred method of implementing filesystem code. It only needs read support
for now so it shouldn't be that complicated, but...

Anyway. Any hints here?

Thanks for any advice you can give,

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>