Journaling UFS with gjournal.

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Mon Jun 19 18:58:01 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:11:01PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:

> How it works (in short). You may define one or two providers which
> gjournal will use. If one provider is given, it will be used for both -
> data and journal. If two providers are given, one will be used for data
> and one for journal.
> Every few seconds (you may define how many) journal is terminated and
> marked as consistent and gjournal starts to copy data from it to the
> data provider. In the same time new data are stored in new journal.
> Let's call the moment in which journal is terminated as "journal switch".

Cool solution!  I think I'll give this a try on my redundent mirror
server at work.  I'd be curious to see how gjournal performs with the
journal on a battery backed ram disk like the gigabyte i-RAM:

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2180&ProductName=GC-RAMDISK

It seems like that could reduce or eliminate many of the performance
issues in practice.

-- Brooks