heavy NFS writes lead to corrup summary in superblock

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sat Jun 10 16:34:03 UTC 2006

Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > If he doesn't need UFS2 features, using UFS1 will save some space,
 > > because inode data is smaller in UFS1 (128 vs. 256 bytes per
 > > inode).  However, that really doesn't matter much if he reduces the
 > > inode density as I recommended.
 > >
 > > On a 300 GB file system using the default newfs parameters, you
 > > have about 36 million inodes.  So using UFS1 will save about 4500
 > > MB of space (vs.  UFS2).  However, with an inode density of 2^18
 > > there are only 1 million inodes, so UFS1 makes only a difference of
 > > 136 MB.
 >
 > Ah, I took "A few very large files" to mean "A few very large files
 > that are probably too large for UFS1 to represent, as very large
 > is getting very large lately" :-). Switching to UFS1 under those
 > circumstances would be problematic.

Last time I checked, the maximum file size limit (for non-
sparse files) on UFS1 is larger than the maximum file
system size limit (1 TB, IIRC), and therefore a non-issue
in this case.  (The limit for sparse files is 8 TB, but
dump files aren't sparse anyway.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"Python is an experiment in how much freedom programmers need.
Too much freedom and nobody can read another's code; too little
and expressiveness is endangered."
        -- Guido van Rossum