ACL broken on all FreeBSD variants

Nico -telmich- Schottelius nico-freebsd-fs at schottelius.org
Mon Dec 18 15:56:30 PST 2006

Andrey V. Elsukov [Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 04:50:18PM +0300]:
> Directories are more complex, as they can have up to three types of ACLs:
>
>     * An access ACL affects access to the directory itself.
>     * The default directory ACL sets the default permissions on any
> subdirectories created within the directory.
>     * The default access ACL sets the default permissions on any
> files created within the directory. Note that if the default directory
> ACL is not set, subdirectories will also inherit this ACL. However, if
> the default directory ACL is set, that value will override the value
> of this ACL.
>
> The current FreeBSD implementation supports *only the first two types*
> of directory ACLs, so double-check the effective permissions on any
> files you create in directories containing ACLs.

Thanks!

Are there any plans to support the last type?

This is the common
use of ACLs in my situation, so currently we are hacking the stuff
by executing chmod && chown each time files get updated. Recursively.

Very dirty and not very performant, but the only solution that
seems to be available with FreeBSD.

Nico

--
``...if there's one thing about Linux users, they're do-ers, not whiners.''
(A quotation of Andy Patrizio I completely agree with)