fdescfs/devfs

Vlad GALU dudu at dudu.ro
Wed Aug 23 07:42:32 UTC 2006

On 8/23/06, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> In message <ad79ad6b0608222329j5d43dae9h9e1408926bd9cf6c at mail.gmail.com>, "Vlad
>  GALU" writes:
>
> >     Is it just a wrong impression on my side, or devfs really
> >supersedes fdescfs ? I've been using /dev/fd/* for a while having the
> >impression I had fdescfs mounted on /dev/fd, and I hadn't. I didn't
> >see any differences whatsoever in terms of usage.
>
> It's not really devfs, it's kern_descrip.c and it only implements
> /dev/fd[0-2] and the /dev/std{in,out,err} aliases.

   Thanks. I wrote a small test program that opened a socket and
indeed it didn't show up in /dev/fd/. I was just about to return this
info to the list.

> --

If it's there, and you can see it, it's real.
If it's not there, and you can see it, it's virtual.
If it's there, and you can't see it, it's transparent.
If it's not there, and you can't see it, you erased it.