[patch] giant-less quotas for UFS

Nicolas KOWALSKI Nicolas.Kowalski at imag.fr
Tue Apr 11 17:43:17 UTC 2006

Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:

> Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
>> Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:

>>> Watch gstat during the testing, and see if the disk that holds the
>>> full partition is really busy.  I'm betting it's thrashing the disk
>>> continually checking for free space.  I don't think there's any way to
>>> avoid that.
>> Mh, I did not find this "gstat" tool on the system or in the ports;
>> perhaps is it in >= 5.x ? (the server is running 4.11-p15).
>> It is sad I can not do anything about it: such a server pulled down
>> by
>> a single NFS-client. :-(
>

> *sigh* - I should really pay more attention to the beginning of the
> thread.  I thought you were on 5.x, so my mistake.  You'll need to use
> iostat to see what's busy with your disks.

Ok, I'll check with that. Thanks.

> I strongly recommend going to 6.x if you can..

Yep, it's planned, but only in a few months, when all
students/teachers will go to the beach. ;-)

Just for my knowledge, what will improve the situation ? Better
Locking ? If I read the start of the thread, it looks like the actual
quotas system is still under the giant lock, so...

--
Nicolas