[patch] giant-less quotas for UFS

Nicolas KOWALSKI Nicolas.Kowalski at imag.fr
Mon Apr 10 16:10:22 UTC 2006

Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:

> Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
>> Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> writes:

>>> I don't think that patch shall have effect on this situation (quota
>>> exceeded).
>
> If you watch a tcpdump while this is happening, I'll bet you see the
> client (over NFS) repeatedly trying to allocate blocks, and the server
> returning ENOSPACE.  The load and cpu utilization on the server will
> skyrocket while it gets hammered with requests for more space.  Not
> sure what the solution is to this.

Yes, this is exactly what is happening.

To add some precision, some students here use calculation applications
that allocate a lot of disk space, ususally more than their allowed
home quotas; when by error they launch these apps in their home
directories, instead of their workstation dedicated space, it makes
the server go to its knees on the NFS client side.

--
Nicolas